WaterAid Nepal is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Since we started in 1981, we’ve remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transform people’s lives. Without all three, people can’t live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
By inspiring people and sparking chain reactions we help deliver lasting change in what’s normal. By working closely with partners internationally and on the ground in some of the toughest places in the world, we help achieve widespread change. Millions of people have already taken control of their lives and built better futures.
WaterAid Nepal has been working in Nepal since 1987. Our work in Nepal spans across 9 districts. We team up with local partners, technical experts, governments, and communities to support the delivery of integrated WASH services in hard to reach communities, helping to transform lives.
WaterAid Nepal is currently implementing project entitled “Water Security & Climate Resilience WASH” in Shaliung and Kalinchowk Rural Municipalities (RM) of Dolakha district in partnership with local NGO Community Development Forum (CDF). The project was started from October 2018 for three years but due to Covid-19 pandemic situation the project is extended till June 2022. The aim of the projects is to ensure water security for vulnerability and marginalised people though greater functionality of water supply schemes and equitable access to WASH facilities and good hygiene practices among communities and schools.
Terms of Reference – District Coordinator
Job Title: District Coordinator
Date: May 2021
Department: Recovery and Resilient WASH Programme
Direct Reports (titles): Senior Project Coordinator, FCP
Location: Charikot, Dolakha, Nepal
Stationed at Charikot and frequent travel to project areas in Shailung and Kalinchowk.
Purpose of Role
Provide strategic support and guidance for implementation (activity planning, execution, facilitation, monitoring and coordination) of the WSCRW project in 2 RMs of Dolakha, by ensuring quality delivery of WASH related activities through partner organization, WSUCs and RM and assuring the required level of coordination at both RM level for their cooperation and monitoring support while achieving the project progress and objectives.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Support partner to implement the planned activities
- Provide strategic support and guidance for implementing Project in Dolakha,
- Ensure quality delivery of WASH related activities through partner organization, WSUCs and RM
- Develop strong linkage with local stakeholders & RMs and assure the required level of coordination both at RM level and with other district/RM stakeholders for their cooperation and monitoring support while achieving the project progress and objectives.
- Facilitate the works related to WASH plan of RMs and business plans of schemes together with CDF. In this regard,
- Facilitate workshops for sharing the WASH plans and business plans with the concerned stakeholders, coordinate to finalize part of RMs plan of actions to incorporate it in WASH plans, and finally facilitate to endorse it through RM executive body.
- With technical support from WAN FCP team and CDF, finalize business plan of Water Schemes, conduct sharing workshops and incorporate the inputs and feedbacks received from respective WSUCS, Ward chair(s) and RMs as relevant during the workshops. Initiate preparing business plans for remaining 12 schemes and finalize them before the WSS project ends.
- Support in strengthening capacity of partner and WSUCs for sustaining the project interventions and increase efficiency in enhancing the physical progress and minimize the budget variances.
- Comply with the commitments in line with the inputs and guidance provided by the WAN FCP team for effective execution and management of the project progress and fund.
- Ensure that partner abide WA’s QPS and apply in the projects while delivering WASH activities to ensure that WASH services are with optimum quality.
- Update progress periodically as and when needed and support WaterAid’s FCP Technical Manager and FCP Senior Project coordinator for day-to-day work.
Support to monitor partners works to ensure quality
- Monitor partner’s work in Dolakha and work with FCP team of WAN and partner to make sure that the project progress is in line with result framework of project.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits as and when required as per the activity implementation plan for supporting partners and assessing the project progress and ensure provision of regular supportive feedback though result -based monitoring findings.
- Track project progress against agreed results and achievements, and document them through reports and database to support FCP team to produce periodic reports (i.e. quarterly, six monthly and annual) along with financial reports from partners.
- Support remote monitoring team mobilized by WaterAid Nepal at field level.
Coordination, Advocacy and facilitation with key stakeholders of the project
- Develop and maintain functional relationships with relevant stakeholders including government and civil societies within intervened RMs and concerned stakeholders in Dolakha.
- Develop and enhance close linkage with RMs and other local district stakeholders as appropriate and relevant for accelerating the project works in the intervening areas of the district.
- Support and facilitate (working with partner) to:
- Conduct Project Implementation and Management Committee (PIMC) meetings with RMs and Ward level periodically
- Support to organize District/RM Project Advisory committee (D/RM-PAC) and joint monitoring of stakeholders
- Liaise with D/RM-WASH-CC, FEDWASUN and other likeminded networks in the district to share progress and link the partner and WSUCs with them
- Together with partner, advocate with RMs to:
- Institutionalizing the WASH plan and particularly during ward level RMs planning process,
- Prepare water tariff policy, WSUCs regulation guideline and other relevant guidelines to support the sustainability of the project to institutionalize tariff mechanism in water supply schemes
- Coordinate with wards and RMs (on behalf of WSUCs) to resolve if any issues emerged
- Represent WaterAid and attend district and RM level meetings, workshops conducted by various stakeholders
Skills and Competence
- Master’s in Development studies, Sociology, Environment Science, or relevant discipline with WASH expertise
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with INGO including experiences of managing WASH projects at field Understanding of the WASH sector in Nepal, key stakeholders and critical blockages and opportunities.
- Experience of working with the implementing partners and managing them in the districts for driving the project for its successful implementation.
- Understanding of WASH plans and its preparation for local governments
- Knowledge of preparing business plan for Water Schemes particularly tariff plan as a revenue generation and financial sustainability of schemes
- Demonstrated experience of working with local implementing partners, managing them and supporting them by developing their capacity for driving the project for its successful implementation
- Understanding of the human right based approach delivery of WASH activities
- Understanding of existing local governments and their functioning mechanism for achieving their support for the project
- Confident in working with senior level stakeholders both internally and externally using tact and diplomacy
- Coordinating skills to maintain the relation and manage expectation of the district stakeholders including RMs and have them on board for project’s success
- Excellent skills in writing, producing excellent project reports for wider audiences
- IT skills particularly MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- A team player who adds value by working collaboratively to deliver results.
- Fluency in spoken and written Nepali language. Good proficiency in spoken and written English, with good interpersonal, negotiating and persuasive skills
- Commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission, values and ways of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
WaterAid Nepal is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behavior, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff, consultant and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
Application Method: WaterAid Nepal Vacancy
For Registered Candidate:
Login to https://p2p.com.np/ with your username and password, click on the job you want to apply for and press “APPLY” that appears on the selected job page.
For New Candidate:
Go to https://p2p.com.np/
Register/Create new account,
Use your newly created username and password to login
If cover letter/ CV is not attached, a pop up will appear The pop up will direct to “MANAGE COVER LETTER/ CV” page where you can add/upload cover letter/ CV, then press “APPLY” at the bottom of the page.