JOB TITLE: SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER – MALARIA, GLOBAL FUND
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Global Fund
LOCATION: EDCD, Teku
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed-term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 2: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reach approximately two million population and invest over 30 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health and Nutrition, Education, Child Rights and Governance and Child Protection, Child Poverty, HIV & AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
Under the direct supervision of Sr. Director, Program Operations-Save the Children and Director, EDCD, in close coordination with focal persons at EDCD, the SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER – MALARIA, GLOBAL FUND will oversee management operations of the Global Fund program implemented by EDCD. In specific, the SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER – MALARIA, GLOBAL FUND will be responsible for the key areas of accountability listed below
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Sr. Director, Program Operations – Global Fund
Reports to (Indirect): EDCD Director
Reporting to position: EDCD based SCI team
Staff reporting to this post: Field Based Malaria team
Budget Responsibilities: As per the approved schedule of delegation
Role Dimensions: Save the Children strives towards making the best use of our resources by generating information and knowledge for bringing positive and high impact on children’s lives in Nepal. The position holder will support in generating evidence from operational research as well as our operational experience and reflect learning for informed decision making.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Manage the overall implementation of the Malaria program in close liaison with Save the Children and Nepal government staff. Special focus to be given to management of the Global Fund Supported activities in helping the country reach the set elimination targets.
- Ensure that all information related to operational, administrative, finance and logistical issues of the Global Fund project are available as required.
- Provide quality policy and managerial advice to EDCD for optimal program implementation.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting to Save the Children, with the support from relevant government and project staff at EDCD. Regularly report to and keep Save the Children up to date on project progress and implementation issues.
- Liaise closely with government agencies (e.g. DoHS, LMD, NPHL, VBDRTC, DHO/DPHOs) and other stakeholders to ensure smooth collaboration and management of programs.
- Build strategic partnerships and maintain effective communication with the key stakeholders including the CCM, GFATM, Local Fund Agent (LFA), External Development Partners (EDPs) and others.
- Foster and facilitate collaboration and coordination among wider stakeholders to avoid duplication of Global Fund resources on Malaria control program.
- Facilitate and coordinate with relevant stakeholders at the national level including the Ministry of Health and Population, as well as with district government entities and development partners including EDPs, technical agencies and other implementing partners.
- Manage the finances and related human resources associated with Global Fund program implemented by EDCD.
- Prepare financial estimates, coordinate budgets, maintain financial records and analyze/monitor expenditure for both SCI and EDCD.
- Ensure a participatory work planning process for the development of work plans for the program and prepare PUDR ensuring that reporting meets Global Fund quality standards.
Human Resources Management
- Supervises Global Fund Project Management Unit staff, working closely with EDCD Director and Focal Persons.
- Technically supervises the malaria staff stationed at the regional offices of SCI and monitors their input as well as quality of their work at field level
- Sets tasks and deadlines for PMU staff and oversee their performance.
- Oversee, energize and motivate the team and ensure staff capacity building in their area of work.
- Determine work flow priorities, assume responsibility for delivery and the development, provide coaching, mentoring and guidance of staff being supervised.
- Make sure day to day operations of the PMU is functioning smoothly in close collaboration of EDCD Admin, Finance and Logistics Unit.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date activity data on all EDCD Global Fund interventions implemented by EDCD, including information on financial transactions
- Make sure Project equipment and vehicles are properly utilized only for the project works.
- Oversee the overall implementation of Global Fund project to ensure timely completion of all Global Fund supported activities implemented by EDCD (including VBDRTC) with quality results.
- Ensure the project funds are timely disbursed to the Service Delivery Points (SDPs) accordance with the project document and project work plans/budget.
- Plan and execute micro stratification and malariometric survey, household survey, private sector survey and other national level research activities in coordination with other team members.
- In coordination with EDCD and other stakeholders revise the national malaria treatment protocol, develop manuals for foci investigation and conduct trainings.
- In coordination with EDCD, execute Malaria Technical Working Group Meetings.
- Ensure, in close collaboration with Finance Team, the financial management of the budgets, monitoring the grant absorption rate, monthly tracking and review of expenditures etc.
- Ensure, in close collaboration with M&E team, correct and complete reports are received from all SDPs and compiled reports are submitted to the Save the Children.
- Ensure, in close collaboration with PSM team, all supplies are received in time, delivered to all SDPs as per the need and ‘No stock out’ is reported from all SDPs.
- Provide regular update (programmatic and financial) to the EDCD Director and DCOP Save the Children.
- Provide technical support to PMU staff in implementation of Global Fund activities.
- Ensure the project funds are timely disbursed to the SDPs accordance with the project document and project work plans/budget.
- Ensure proper distribution of LLINs through the mass campaigns and ANC. Directly monitors and manages the program of Mass distribution of LLINs through the Sub recipients meeting the standard protocols and quality.
- Support EDCD in implementing the activities planned under the Red book including the procurement of malaria related commodities through the LMD
- Support VBDRTC through periodic staff mobilization and help strengthen the capacity of the team at VBDRTC
- Ensure that the entomology team is fully functional and conduct all foci investigation on time
- Manages directly 13 staff stationed at PMU EDCD and indirectly 8 additional staff stationed at regions.
Program monitoring and evaluation:
- Make sure that monitoring and evaluation activities are implemented on time in accordance with the approved M&E plan
- Review field visit reports to ensure recommendations of last field visit reports are addressed in the next field visit.
- Conduct frequent monitoring field visits to ensure timely and quality implementation of projects vis-à-vis approved work plans, with the involvement of the relevant program colleagues
- Liaise regularly with Save the Children MEAL program and relevant government authorities to ensure accountability in EDCD implemented program
System support and partnership:
- Co-ordinate and collaborate with relevant centers and divisions with Ministry of Health and Population and Department of Health Services for integrated malaria response at all levels.
- Work closely with relevant EDPs and multi- and bi- lateral partners and INGOs for possible support for system strengthening ensuring the quality service delivery.
- Ensure a learning culture among PMU team and other staff of EDCD for evidence-informed practice.
- Any other duties or assignments as requested by the Director of EDCD and Sr. Director, Program Operations-Save the Children.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Master’s degree in public health and MBBS
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 7 years of working experience in managing Public Health Programs
- Proven experience of working with government in national level health programme/project and multi-/bi-lateral agencies or international organizations. Experience of working in a team for bigger grants such as GFATM will be an asset.
- Understanding of the working procedures of the Government as well as of external development partners (EDPs) will be considered a huge advantage
- Experience in coordination and liaison with different partner agencies
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Thorough understanding of Malaria control program in developing countries
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office)
- Understanding of logistics management, financial management and budgeting of development programs desirable
Additional Job Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER – MALARIA, GLOBAL FUND
For Registered Candidate:
Login to https://p2p.com.np/ with your username and password, click on the job you want to apply for and press “APPLY” that appears on the selected job page.
For New Candidate:
Go to https://p2p.com.np/
Register/Create new account.
Use your newly created username and password to login